Why should you employ someone with autism?
Given the right support and environment, individuals with autism can be exceptionally good at work. Amongst the strengths exhibited by them are:
- Pay good attention to details
- Show high level of concerntration
- Honest and loyal
- Exhibit technical/special interests such as having detailed factual knowledge
- And many more, once you know them better!
Support your employee or colleague with Autism by …
- Being empathetic to the person’s communication difficulties
- Giving concise and specific instructions, instead of saying 'Come in early tomorrow’, say “Come in at 8 am tomorrow.”
- Checking in if the person has understood your intentions, you can ask “Please tell me what I’d like you to do?”
- Helping the person to prioritize and organize tasks
- Giving honest, constructive and positive feedback
- Reassuring the person in stressful situations
- Enjoying the person’s companionship at work